Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What Can I Do

Call it the curse of being a “type A” personality, or maybe it is just that I have been a mom for longer than I can remember; whatever the reason, I find I approach God much like the man in John chapter six who said to Jesus, “What shall we do that we might work the works of God”?

Whenever I read a passage of scripture or hear a teaching from the Word I immediately latch onto the “What can I do” portion. It is that which becomes my passion and purpose. Just today I was pondering the last section of Matthew 6. True to form, I considered the lilies of the field and the fowls of the air, but what I zeroed in on was the admonition to “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness”.

I want to have “All those things added unto me.” I want to “Take no thought for tomorrow”. But in my wanting I focus my thoughts back on me; what more can I do!

Could it be that Jesus’ response to the man in John chapter six is the ultimate answer to the dreaded “I” disease. When I am tempted to ask, “What can I do?” Jesus would respond, “Believe on Him who God has sent”.

And so I return to my pondering in Matthew. Who is this God I am called to believe in? He is my Father who knows my every need and has promised that He will provide. He will feed me, He will clothe me, He will take care of my tomorrows. All those things I spend 99.9% of my time worrying about, He looks at and says, “Done Deal!”

Where does that leave me? Gloriously free to spend time with Him, seeking His Kingdom and allowing Him to clothe me in His righteousness as He feeds me with His Word.

1 comment:

sharon said...

Thanks for the word, I really needed to hear that today! I am also a doer... hmmm wonder where I get that from??? It is a great reminder to rest and wait on God to provide and fulfill.