Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hannah

I’m not sure I could have done it. I read Hannah’s story again today in First Samuel and I see a women so desperate, so despondate she is ready to promise the Lord anything. My heart aches for this woman who is so desirous of being a mother she is willing to give up the very son who is the object of her desire. In her despair she petitions the Lord and then, the miracle happens, her barren womb is opened and Samuel is born. That’s where I pause.

If I were Hannah, I think I would have looked for some wiggle room. “God, you didn’t really, literally mean you wanted me to turn over my son to you, did you?” I can hear the arguments I would have made. “Surely he would be of more value to you AFTER I have raised him up. Why don't I turn him over to you in, say, about 20 years, then he can serve you.”

But Hannah was not me. As soon as the child was weaned, she came, not grudgingly, but willingly, to present Samuel for service to the Lord. She understood something that I still at times am challenged by. All that I have is His. Her words in 1 Samuel 1:28 literally read “I have returned him who I obtained by petition”. Returned, given back to the one he has always belonged to.

How could she do it? Could you? Would you? What is most precious in your life: your house, your job, your position, your possessions, your time? If God asks, would you be willing to surrender it to Him?

What do you hold on to most tightly? Do you fear what might happen if you let go? I know I do, sometimes.

How could she do it? How can you? How can I? To know God is to trust God and from Hannah’s prayer I understand, she knew God. Read her words if today you are struggling to trust Him, if it seems all that is precious to you is no longer yours to hold on to. Read, and remember…

“There is none holy as the Lord, for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave and bringeth up. The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up. He raiseth up the poor out of the dust and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s and He hath set the world upon them.”

In remembering, perhaps like Hannah, we too will be able to say, “My heart rejoiceth in the Lord!” as we willingly give back to God that which he has so graciously given to us.

No comments: