Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pressing On

Twenty seven years ago I stood before a group of women in Kearny, Nebraska and shared with them the words of Paul in Philippians chapter 3: “But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.”

At that time my focus was on how much I thought I had lost and given up to know and follow Jesus. We had walked through some tough financial times and now found ourselves fifteen hundred miles from home as we followed the call of God to serve in a church in the barren plains of Nebraska. The cold winds that blew across that seemingly empty land chilled my bones but they were nothing compared to the cold wind of loneliness and desolation that filled my soul. Surely, we had given up all for Him.

The ensuing years have found us in another place where the winds blow and the snow falls, but in my heart there is a warmth that cannot be quenched. Yes, there have been gains and losses as the years have unfolded, but looking back I understand, like Paul, that it is by walking with the Lord, day after day, month after month, year after year that I am “found in him, not having mine own righteousness…that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.”

I have known the eternal, saving love of Jesus Christ for forty-two years. He has been absolutely faithful as He promised. At the half century mark of life it would be simple for me to somehow believe I have arrived, that my work is finished, that it is time to “hang up my hat” so to speak. How easy it would be just to settle back in my cozy recliner with a good book and my cup of half and half laden hot coffee.

But in that soft, persuasive voice I have come to recognize as His spirit, I know that He is calling me to press on. The race which I am called to run is not a fifty yard dash but a cross country run that will culminate one day in reaching my final destination, “that city whose builder and maker is God”.

So, like Paul, “I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus”.

This blog is a window into that race. It will be filled with insights from His word that I pray will be an encouragement as you, too, Press On.

4 comments:

Mia said...

nice to see you blogging!

maria

Kacey said...

Can't wait to see what the Lord has you share. Blessings!

Robyn said...

I can't wait as well! Thanks Kacey.

Amber said...

Love your heartfelt words robyn, it will be fun to check your blog frequently... ;)